Wednesday 22 January 2014

The obsession with 'cool'


Why is everyone obsessed with being cool? If someone isn't cool, people make out that they're not worth talking to. If you don't wear certain clothes, listen to specific music or say the 'coolest' things, then that ultimately means you're not cool. This obsession leaves me filled with anxiety when I do something that I know most people don't see as cool and then I don't know what people want from me! Surely the idea of 'cool' should be an opinion. There's no specific way to be cool because, for me, I see things as cool that no other people would. 


 Next Saturday I'm going to see Taylor Swift. Now, I know Rookie and Tavi love Taylor Swift. Lorde is friends with Taylor Swift. The Vaccines are fans of Taylor Swift. Nearly every magazine and newspaper are positive about Taylor Swift. But everyone else doesn't think she's cool. To be honest, I don't necessarily think her music is cool but that's not why I like her. I'm not so obsessed with my appearance or the way people think of me to stop not liking things just because they're not 'cool' in other people's eyes. But I still constantly feel judged. For me, the 22 music video is cool. I want to have friends that dance to cheesy songs, eat loads of cake and pizza and just have a fun time not caring about anyone else. Instead, I constantly feel ridiculed by what I like.


Why can't people forget about their 'coolness' for a while and just have a good time? I think it may be because of who I'm with. People at my college are obsessed with being cool. The way they talk in a really 'hoity toity' (never thought I'd ever use that phrase) way. The way they look at everyone else as if they're much better. The way they actively don't talk to people or make an effort with people just because they're not there version of cool. It makes me sick. 


What's even more annoying is that this idea of cool changes so often. People I know change their opinions so often to fit in with what's cool. Don't get me wrong, I do this too. I change my opinion all the time, but not so it can fit under the category of cool. I just feel that it's hard being a teenager. We already have stress with exams, why create more stress by inventing what's cool and what isn't. Why can't we just like whatever we want without being constantly ridiculed. 


However, what I have also realised is that even the idea of coolness is mocked. I rarely like music from nowadays apart from Taylor Swift and a few exceptions. But I do really like stuff from the 60s, 70s and 80s. The other day I was discussing what music I liked (music seems to be the highest point of what is cool) and I mentioned that I rarely like contemporary music. This came with a sarcastic comment, "oooo you're so indie and hipster." Probably one of the worst things ever to hear at my age, but again, I don't see why. WE CAN NEVER WIN. I don't like the music I like just because it's cool, I like it because it's great and it makes me feel good. Surely that should be why we like things, not because it's cool but because it makes us feel gooooood. 


I wouldn't see my blog as cool, but someone else might. My brother looked at it (without my consent) and mentioned how it was cool but I've never really thought about it. I write about what I'm interested in, what I think others would like to hear and what is circling in my brain at the time. That may be 'cool' but I don't mean it to be. This just seems to add to another stress of being a teenager that I can not be bothered to deal with. Leave a comment if you feel the same as me or have any stories about 'coolness'. As usual, thanks for reading pals.

10 comments:

  1. I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad: you wrote that the fact you like "stuff from the 60s, 70s and 80s" made your classmates call you a hipster. I just know this girl who is really into contemporary music, and everybody call /her/ a hipster.
    People are funny(=dicks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's so stupid all this cool fascination because not everyone thinks the same things are cool.
      (Love the bad day reference)

      Delete
  2. Certain people will react that abusive cool adjective -usually used with "sexy" since 90s- and that's the point we need Taylor to sing about things dont matter. Now every kid have enough money to buy her album "trouble trouble trouble"×666. It feels good so we shouldnt discuss? I live in a 3rd world country. Our kids began to look like idiots because of Taylor-Selena-Bieber stuff. A girl was crying because she missed Taylor's interview in real-time. So, i dont know, you guys can observe better. In here Taylor is considered cool and that's hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting. I've noticed that depending where you are changes what's cool. Thanks for the comment

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post & I think that cool is what you think is fun, or what makes your happy or what reminds you of an awesome memory with your friends, cool is a mirror of YOU. So of course people who categorise people because of their tastes into uncool and cool, well, they've got it all wrong.
    Yeah, teenager hood isn't just pink glitter and rosy sunsets, it can be HARD, and ANNOYING. :( But, then again, what isn't?
    I love love how your blog has the same kind of background structure (a really cool picture tiled) as Rookie.
    Hang in there,
    -lotus marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate your comment. I love the way you categorize cool...why don't you go to my school?!?! haha

      Delete
  4. This post is literally like the greatest thing ever. I defiantly get you with the whole cool snobby act thingy. I hang out with younger people and at our school its I guess cooler to hang out with older people, and I sometimes feel like a outsider because of that, and that makes me want to be friends with like juniors or whatever. I know totally weird. But everybody at our school thinks its cool to do the stereotypical teenage fuckup bullshit like smoke weed and drink and all that crap, and they think that's cool. But anyways great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems to be very similar to the people I know. People will constantly talk about how they got "wasted last night" to me and I just don't care. I want to get good grades so I can go to a good University and if that's uncool then screw everyone else.

      Delete
  5. Can we be best friends already!? I totally get what you're talking/writing about. I hate this whole "cool" thing. Recently I've developed enough confidence to stop caring about what is "cool" and I have definitely have become happier in myself generally. My brother started calling me a hipster and it reeeeally gets up my nose - if I liked cool stuff then i'd be labelled a sheep! It's a lose-lose situation. Unless you don't care XD
    Aoife
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best friends will be fine by me! Thanks for the comment xx

      Delete

Have a comment? Type away!