Thursday 29 August 2013

How do I think up these things?


I can't stop thinking about the world. It seems so small compared to everything else. I sometimes forget that people on the other side of the world are still on the earth. It feels as if they should be on another planet because it's just not big enough. It also makes me wonder if we're wasting what we have. There are very few 'influential' people compared to the seven billion people on this world. We spend most of our time drinking coke, watching television, eating food. Doesn't that feel like a waste? Problem is we're all scared (I am anyway). I can't talk. Whenever someone asks me a question my mind goes blank. I know what I should say after. I can write things down but can never say them. It's like my mouth wants to say something completely different to what my brain says and I sound so stupid. 
My brother told me about Jean-Jacques Rousseau today who's a Genevan philosopher. He said that he felt civilization has ruined us and we should go back to cavemen times (or as he calls is "savages").  
"...This state is the veritable youth of the world; and that all the subsequent progress has been in appearance so many steps toward the perfection of the individual, and in fact toward the decay of the species."
Maybe if we never became the "civil man" we would have no war, no racism, no sexism, no prejudice. Maybe it was our happiest state. Then again, wouldn't it be wasting our art and literature that has come from the human race? If the world were to end right now, what would be the thing you would be most pleased with? Mine would be the art and literature created which would have been wasted if we went with Rousseau's theory. However, with great art comes great unhappiness. You see the world in a different way. It's a mould. Would it be better to just be happy? Gahh these things really make my brain hurt.


I have currently been watching the second series of Girls. Everyone had told me it's much darker than the last series and yes, it is different. We see more of Hannah's boobs. Marnie and Shoshanna have more of a character. And Jessa is married to Chris O'Dowd (which I can't get over). But today I watched one that stuck in my mind. Hannah was just about to have sex when the man tells her she's beautiful. By which she replies, "I know I'm beautiful but it's never normally a comment I get." I loved that bit. It made me (and hopefully others) realise that it's not strange to think yourself as beautiful it's actually a good thing. 
I do, however, feel it's really hard to believe that in yourself - which I blame on society. I was reading Marie Claire today (which, ironically, had Lena Dunham on the front cover) and it made me feel like crap. It was filled with super thin, super tall models with perfectly structured faces which is not a good image for young females to see on a daily basis. It makes it seem like the norm when really, everyone is beautiful because we're all different. We should embrace our differences instead of feeling as if we're 'wrong' because we don't look like Karlie Kloss or Kate Moss (I didn't mean for that to rhyme). 
I wish I was one of the 'lucky ones' that sees themselves as beautiful because we all are. Beauty isn't just looks, it's personality also.. 


Anyway, I realise I haven't posted in a while. I've actually been at Shambala festival which was amaaaazzzzinnnngggg. Pictures and a longer post will be up soon. Right now it's going to be a pretentious post about the world and female beauty.

I looked up beauty on the Tumblr tag and this came up.

6 comments:

  1. This post really got to me. I know how you feel when someone asks you something and your mind goes totally blank. It happens quite often, especially during philosophy class. Just today, our lecturer asked us to write 5 statements on who we are and what we want each. If you asked me, I probably wouldn't be able to answer straightaway, writing it down was better but it took time as well.

    And what you said about beauty is true. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, inside and out. The media has placed an emphasis on tall, thin girls when it should be about healthy looking girls. Girls who are fit, even if they are thin, they are healthy.

    Sorry for leaving such a long comment but I really liked what you said. It made me think, which is always a good thing. Thanks and have a great day! :)

    Adrienne
    http://thefashionetudiante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love and appreciate long comments so much. Thank you.
      I'm glad that something I wrote made you think, that's a huge compliment.
      You have a good day also. (I'm currently stalking your blog)
      xxx

      Delete
  2. I love these photos! Lovely blog!

    xo,
    Elyse
    shortandsweetelyse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so good!!!!!! Especially the part about your mouth saying something different than your brain. When I actually end up talking to someone who I think is awesome and intelligent and someone who I could actually have a good conversation with for once, I end up saying the most stupid things. When I think back on it I can't figure out why I said what I did because it's not even something I think/agree with. Sorry for this ramble just wanted to say I appreciate this post. I hope it isn't weird to comment on this since I don't know you at all. I just made a blog account thingy and haven't even started blogging yet. Just wondering, do you know what Myers-Briggs personality type you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment.
      I actually had never heard of the Myers-Briggs personality test so I've looked it up and have done a (probably not a very reliable) test.
      Turns out my type is INFJ...It's the same as Nelson Mandela's and Mother Theresa which is pretty cool. Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(38%) Feeling(25%) Judging(1%)- these are my percentages.
      Why do you ask?

      Delete
    2. I'm just obsessed with it at the moment haha. I'm an infp.

      Delete

Have a comment? Type away!