Friday 9 August 2013

“Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you, two F's, yes.”


I've been on holiday with my family this week. It was great to get away from the city and see a bit of the countryside (that includes cute little bunnies hopping around in fields). It also meant I could really get into my reading. I'm currently reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles. At the moment, I can't say it's my favourite book but because of the holiday I have managed to read a lot more of it then I would have done - I'm a really slow reader. (If you would like to have a look at some of my pictures and videos from my holiday then go to my Instagram here. Try not to laugh at my embarrassing selfies).


One other thing we did was watch a lot of Seinfeld and some films. We watching Marie Antoinette (which was beautiful to look at, Sofia Coppola really has an eye for that whole 'teenage-instagram-indie' phase thing.), Lost In Translation (again) and finally Annie Hall. 

Recently I had watched a Woody Allen documentary on the TV which made me fall in love with him. I wish I had his life. He makes a film every year and doesn't care about the reviews or the box office - he only cares about what he thinks of it. I really admired that because it's sometimes hard to remember that, out of everything and everyone, you should be the main person that's happy with what you have produced in your life. But it also makes you your biggest critic - which I think we can all agree is true for most people. 


By this time, I had only watched Love and Death, Sleeper (years ago so I can't really remember it) and Midnight in Paris (which I lovvveee) so after this, I knew I needed to get watching his other films! Annie Hall, I think, will stick with me for years to come. Woody Allen is able to analyse life, and make it funny - which a lot of people can't. There's this great bit where Woody (Alvy Singer) and Diane Keaton (Annie Hall) are making lobster and they all fall to the ground and it's just a funny scene. It's then reenacted, but with a different girl and it's just not the same. The girl doesn't find him funny (he's a comedian in the film) and doesn't find the situation particularly amusing. This is an ultimate human flaw. We find one thing funny once and then try to redo it, but it's never the same. It's a big lesson that I personally need to learn (and so does Gatsby, you know, "Can't repeat the past" and all that..).


There's also another scene where Alvy and Annie are in a book shop and Alvy tells us the way he views life. My mum had already told me this quote as, after seeing this film in the 70s, she began viewing life in this way also - and now I think I do. 

“I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable.” 

Life is hard. That's a fact. But we should be thankful that we don't have it worse. It's better to think positively, even while you are miserable, because really, everyone else is too. We're all in the same boat and we all just keep going through it because "we need the eggs".


If you haven't already seen Annie Hall, then watch it now!! Not only is it really funny (look out for the cinema scene early on, it made me laugh a lot) but it's also sad. I love films like that. It's a lot like 500 Days Of Summer - or shall I say, 500 Days Of Summer is a lot like Annie Hall.

image




Sorry for the overload of pictures but I couldn't choose only a few because they're all so great. Ah well, la di dah as Annie Hall would say.

5 comments:

  1. very cool photos Marie Antoinette is a fav movie of mine. I've heard good things about Annie Hall and now this post really lets me know i should watch the movie. (the 500 days of summer comparison sucked me in so did the amazing screeencaps)

    styleriottt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really good quote to live by, so thanks for introducing it to me! And your comment was really nice, sometimes I get really low but I get back to normal pretty quickly so hopefully I'll stop being such an angsty blogger! I really loved Midnight in Paris so I should definitely branch out into Annie Hall territory. Oh and btw I'm going to stalk you on Instagram now :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I was looking through my pictures from a year ago and I cringed! I'm regretting telling people my instagram now...haha

      Delete
  3. I loved your 500 Days of Summer and Annie Hall comparison! It was excellent. All the applause to you. And the pictures you've used are beautiful.

    http://www.unlockingpandorasbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very great and inspirational photos. You definitely got my follow! Please check out my blog if you get the chance!

    www.loveambam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment? Type away!