Friday 14 June 2013

I have too many feelings

People depress me. I've just about had enough of all the crazy things that people are saying. 


First of all, we have people defending page three (If you aren't from the UK: Page Three is in The Sun where they show a picture of a topless woman as to sexualise their bodies.) They claim that it's "the female's choice to be in the newspaper, therefore, they're doing it to themselves." What a load of bullshit. These women are being objectified by men. Their bodies are only made to 'please' the opposite sex. Which is obviously degrading. Women should be praised on their intelligence etc, not for the size of their breasts. It's dehumanising. It's also affecting each generation. Boys grow up thinking women are just a piece of meat and girls grow up constantly thinking they're not good enough because of these images. It's ruining our society, however, people now class it as a norm - which is disgusting. 

Then we have the new twitter account 'Feminist Taylor Swift'. Which I do really enjoy, however, people are taking it way out of control stating things like "this is funny because Taylor Swift is not a feminist because she writes songs about love and boys and love." Hold up. Since when was writing songs about love and boys not being a feminist? Zooey Deschanel describes it perfectly: 

"We can’t be feminine and be feminists and be successful? I want to be a f--king feminist and wear a f--king Peter Pan collar. So f--king what?" 

Feminism is having a choice. One can choose to write about love and still be a feminist. Just because something doesn't conform to a branch of feminism does not mean they're not a feminist. Believing in equality is feminism. Taylor Swift has never stated that she's a feminist but the fact that she's a successful woman in this business practically shows she's a feminist icon. Just because she doesn't conform to people's ideas of feminism does not mean she "can't be a feminist." This also makes those people so hypocritical by judging people on what they do, wear, say etc. Therefore, they're completely missing the point of what feminism actually is. 

Finally, the YouTuber Alex Day (Who I have subscribed to for a number of years) has just (like this second) put up a video about people not wearing clothes that are correct for their size. Click here for the video. PEOPLE CAN WEAR WHAT EVER THEY WANT TO WEAR. Why can't people get that into their brains?! We are so judgmental it makes me sick. People don't "need to lose weight." Just because you don't conform to the way society wants you to look does not mean you can't wear what you want. Regardless to whether he was being funny, this video was still offensive and rude. I love that new thing that's going around: Want a bikini body? Buy a bikini and wear it! It's as simple as that. As long as you feel amazing in your clothes then that's all that matters.

I could probably go on for longer but it's late and my brain is tired.
(Ignore spelling/grammar mistakes - I can't be bothered to read through it again)

5 comments:

  1. Maybe vacuous ninnies are also feminists. Taylor Swift is also.. I believe that we won't be posted on newspapers naked one day, I wanna believe that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that quote from Zoe Deschanel, I like to prance about wear ribbons, and then people get all surprised and don't seem to believe that I'm arguing some sort of political point, so that it actually becomes a lot of fun to challenge the stereotype :) I really wish they'd get rid of page 3...

    ReplyDelete
  3. uch, I hate page three so much. It's so unashamedly perverted, and I think it's wrong to be printed in a newspaper, because it's basically saying that newspapers are for men only. Either get rid of it or show naked men as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing and very true. I find especially at school people are far too judgemental! I go to a boarding school and it is so shut off from the rest of the world that people seem completely unaware of current fashion...so when you wear something ever so slightly out of the box and not jeans people are like...what is she wearing. Its kills me! But this post has inspired me to stand against these silly insecure people! thanks!

    http://seriouslywak.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so close to deleting this post but your comment has made me glad I didn't.
      Definitely wear whatever you want! Screw those people - you are your own person.
      xxx

      Delete

Have a comment? Type away!