Thursday 30 May 2013

Celebrity culture is weird.



Celebrity culture is weird. This generation are so dependent on celebrities. The reason I've noticed this is because of the way I act to celebrities. So, I'm not criticising, well I am, but I'm mainly criticising myself. (Before I write this, I do realise how people get offended when people talk about religion and I hope I don't offend anyone.)


As the idea of religion decreases with the involvement of science and evolution and all that, we have now started to hold on to something else. It's like the human population need something to follow. This generation it's 'celebrities'. People who are like the 'chosen ones'. But we follow them religiously. You all should know of my Taylor Swift obsession. I have posters on my wall, I usually know what's she's doing most days (today she's dancing around in her garden thanks to her tweeting a picture of it) and I have all her albums. It's even come to the moment that when people are rude about her in front of me I feel this hurt or pain because it's as if they're being mean to me. It's like she is a part of me. Which she is, she has been a big involvement in my life. But it seems unhealthy that I should cry if someone utters a negative word in the same sentence with her name. (I don't do that anymore...)

I feel myself losing my 'Taylor Swift feelings'. Maybe it's because I'm growing up? Or maybe it's because she's changed, but I'm moving on. I still love her music but it's less of a 'religion' (to put it lightly). However, I still find myself being involved in the celebrity universe. I'm sorry to admit this but, yes, I do visit Perez Hilton on a daily basis. But so do millions of others. Like a million others follow religions. I just think that there is a great correlation between them both.
When I went to see Lana Del Rey the other night she came out into the crowd and it just reminded me of when the Pope goes around on his tours. Everyone was trying to touch her (including me) and get her autograph. But to feel what? To have that feeling that we are close to being a part of the 'elite'? To have a feeling of satisfaction? I have know idea, we just do it. It's like when people want the Pope to touch them to feel holy or whatever. It's kind of scary. People cry and scream when they meet these people. Imagine if you were one of them how weird that would be. I would definitely be perturbed if I was them. But it's because celebrity culture has grown and grown and if now a big part of lives - more than people like to think.

What I'm trying to say is that generations change. My gran, for example, goes to church every Sunday. I, however, am an atheist. But I'm still a part of this 'religion' of famous people. Just think about it. The relationship between religion and celebrity culture is very similar. 

Another profound post from yours truly. Sorry if anyone found this strange...
M x





(One day I should start sourcing these photos but I really can't be bothered at the moment)
((The last two are from a Tumblr called SwiftSecrets - they're all kind of mental.))

8 comments:

  1. i used to be like that with demi lovato and it felt like i really knew her. i still love her immensely, but i realised that celebrities are as human as i am and also strangers so it's kind of weird to be obsessed with them lol. i don't think there's anything wrong with following celebrity culture but sometimes i think it pays attention to or highlights the wrong things. do you get what i mean?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also i really agree with the comparison between celebrity culture and religion, it's pretty smart. you write about interesting things, i really like your blog
      x

      Delete
    2. I completely agree that celebrity culture highlights the wrong things in our society but also it's fine to like it. Thank you so much for that compliment! I'm typing this reply with a huge smile. Your blog is also amazing!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more with you!!

    Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com
    click for a giveaway on my blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celebrity culture is weird but, when you think about music, lots of people take classical and opera very, very seriously. However, with pop music it is incredibly frowned upon to treat it like religion. Morrissey is my Taylor Swift but I think with Morrissey there has always been that stage invasion thing because his lyrics are so personal and so many people can relate to him. It's like, if you could touch Morrissey just for a second you would feel validated. I don't know if it's the same with other celebrities. Most of the people I treat on a 'worship' sort of scale are dead. I am super jealous about you going to the Lana concert and getting an autograph though. She is my favourite female musician.

    On one hand I would love to be famous but on the other hand I would not. I would like to be sort of famous within a group of select people; people who I have things in common with and who understand me. I think the problem with the super famous is that people scream at them and want to touch them etc just to go and tell everyone that they saw them or touched them because, in a way, having that closeness to someone so famous is like getting a taste of fame yourself. Friends or friends of friends can tell people about you and say that you were the person who touched {insert world famous musician/actor/actress here} and perhaps it makes them feel special. I never seem to meet celebrities but I went to a Misfits book signing and met the cast which was cool. I think for some people it can become an obsession though and I think Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring looks at that (I'm super excited for that to come out because I really want to see it.)

    Sorry for the ridiculously long winded comment xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great statement, I couldnt agree more. Because of I'm an outsider from Istanbul, I always wonder about all of these girls running for Justin Bieber or Demi Lovato for example. Celebrating the chosen ones might be the next religion..

    On the other hand, I think people started to worship celebrities just because they began to look like themselves. And it takes us to the point that we worship ourselves via the image of a celebrity. For example Demi Lovato looks like an ordinary, uneducated Jersey girl and there're millions of gals to die for her. In ancient times:) like 1980s, celebrities were the real gods. Madonna did wear different things, created fashion and trends, broke the rules etc, now Rihanna is pulling on every trendy piece of cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point! Yeah, I can see that people now strive to be like celebrities and they are, practically, just like us. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. This was an amazing post! Celebrity culture is kind of weird, when you think about it. You've put things in perspective really well.

    Your blog is really good. You write very well and about very interesting things!

    https://www.unlockingpandorasbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment? Type away!