Friday 19 July 2013

I watched two films and tried to write a story.




I watched two films today: Lost in Translation and Melancholia. Both of them were extremely great but very different. Lost in Translation was beautifully shot and each sequence flowed with the next. It was surprisingly humorous amongst the feeling of loneliness which I thoroughly enjoyed. But it also seemed to be a film about two people who reject the norms of romance (monogamy). There are few films like this. I always felt that I would never get married, and even though these two characters were married, they were hating it. They felt lonely in themselves and where they were (which is why it being set in Japan was perfect). They were lost literally in translation by them not understanding Japanese but they are also lost in their own lives - this connection leads them to one another.
Melancholia was a bit different. It was also beautifully shot, filmed in Sweden, however, the cuts were very clunky. That sounds like a negative thing but it really added to the tensity of the film. It's about the end of the world so throughout my heart was beating, waiting for the inevitable to happen. It reminded me of my dream about the end of the world, which I wrote about before. In that I said it would be a great film and it was. Sadly, I wanted to be the one to film it but Lars Von Trier got there before me. It didn't have the best of reviews but I loved it. I made me reevaluate my whole life and I was left breathless by the end. That's always a good sign after watching a film.



My dad told me he's started a blog. I've read it. It's completely wordy and pretentious, which basically describes him in two words. It's all about his art and whatnot. It made me think that if he ever read my blog he would have a good laugh. Which is why I'll never show this to anyone I know and hopefully no one finds it on there own accord. I'm not embarrassed by it, just worried.




After watching Lost in Translation I felt the urge to write a little story thing. It's about loneliness but more as a teenager and how we feel lost. I'd thought I put it here. I'm very nervous to do so as I'm really bad with criticism but here you go:

The credits ran as she lay on her bed in her underwear. Another film that made her feel nothing. She stared out of the attic windows at the clouds. Another summers day spent indoors. Her phone beside her started to buzz. Another non-descript text from no one special. She'd never met anyone special. The bubbles of her coke were fizzing next to her. Another day of trading coke for food. 
She ran her fingers through her brown hair and stood up. She sat down again. She started to fiddle with the empty deodorant bottles left on her desk, putting them into a straight line. She had another sip of coke and lay back on her bed. She had very few thoughts running through her mind. This was the only opportunity she had to not fake a smile, a laugh, a conversation. Her whole life was filled with lies outside her bedroom. Not that any of it mattered. She had very few friends, she went out rarely - no one knew her. No one knew who she really was and what she really wanted to do and be. 
Her local primary school were being let out for the day. She could hear their screams and laughter from her bedroom. She stretched out her legs and felt her blanket that she's had since her primary days. She didn't know why she still has it. It's comforting maybe? It smells like her, like home. It felt soft against the soles of her feet which brought a faint smile to her face.
She liked being alone when no one else was around. She didn't feel lonely - she felt empty. Empty in a good way, as if the emptiness allowed her to be whole. To breathe. To forget about the lies. 
She sat up and found a piece of fluff in her hair. As she went to take it out, a knock began at her door. That sound ended her serenity. She left her room, forgetting about the peace she had been feeling and about the piece of fluff that was still left in her hair. 

Well, there you go. I was trying to base it on Scarlett Johansson's character Charlotte in Lost in Translation as she was constantly feeling lonely but also as if her life was a lie which allowed her to meet Bill Murray's character - Bob Harris.



I've also just had a debacle with a daddy long-legs. I'm more scared of them than spiders because of the way they fly. They either fly like they're Superman or if they're on drugs. Their spontaneity is too much for me to handle.



5 comments:

  1. You may have just convinced me to watch 'Lost In Translation'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i want to watch those two films :-) i like your little story. your writing is good and i want to know more about your character and who was at her door. will you write more about her? i especially like the sentence "empty in a good way, as if the emptiness allowed her to be whole", i can identify with that. also all the pictures go well with this post.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't too sure about it because I'd written it just randomly. I might keep going with it..we'll see. As you can see, I don't even have a name for her yet!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Lost In Translation is one of my favorite movies, maybe even my favorite.
    I definitely want to watch Melancholia some time, it sounds amazing.
    I would love to read more of this story, if there's more. Or any other story.
    And I really enjoy reading your blog, please keep it up! x

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment? Type away!